Change font size:

What is available?

Practical support can be available to help people with learning or physical disabilities, or with sight or hearing loss, to become more involved and use the amenities in the local community.

Support can include trained staff helping people learn how to use public transport by themselves and build their independent living skills. Mobility training, rehabilitation and orientation can support people with sight loss to ensure they are able to move about more safely.

Advice, guidance or support is also available to enable people with disabilities to get out and about, attend day centres, colleges, libraries or other recreational activities.

Getting out and about

Who can get it?

This service is available for people aged 18 and over with a learning or physical disability, or with sight or hearing loss, and need practical support to develop their independent living skills outside the home.

In order to work out just what type of practical support is needed to help you get out and about, we do need to carry out an assessment.  The assessment also determines your eligibility for service provision.

What is an assessment?


After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to the seriousness of your situation.

How much does it cost?

There will be some cost but the actual amount you pay will depend on how much support you need.

Can I get help with the cost?

It is possible. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. To get a rough idea of costs you can carry out a quick, confidential financial self assessment, online.

How much will I pay for services?


Do you want more choice and control?

We may provide or arrange services for you but if you want more choice and control over your own life then you might be interested in Self Directed Support. This means that you have a Personal Budget, or Direct Payment, from us and use it to arrange your own support.

Self Directed Support and Personal Budgets


How to get in touch 

The Adult Social Care Customer Liaison Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547. 

When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone and check that we've got our facts straight. We will then follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your personal situation and to discuss what help is available.

image of couple in field