Change font size:

What is available?

Help with day to day living is available for people with learning or physical disabilities, or with sight or hearing loss, who need extra support to live independently at home.

This housing related support helps with day to day living, issues like setting up and maintaining a home, managing money and paying bills, dealing with paperwork, claiming benefits and developing domestic and life skills such as shopping or cooking.

Help is also available with personal care, such as washing, bathing or dressing, or support getting in or out of bed.


Help with day to day living

Who can get it?

Help with day to day living is available for people over the age of 18 with a learning or physical disability, or with sight or hearing loss.

In order to work out just how much help is needed to make life easier for you, we do need to carry out an assessment.

What is an assessment?


After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to the seriousness of your situation.

If you don't qualify for a care package from Adult Social Care you could arrange for a care worker from a private home care agency to help you. If you do this remember to take care to choose one that is registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

You can view a list of care agencies in Blackburn with Darwen that are registered with Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council: List of registered care agencies

Or the 'NHS Choices' website can help you find a care worker, and you can also check the care agency's Care Quality Commission report on the website too.  Visit the NHS Choices website.

Or you could employ your own personal assistant.  The Self Directed Support Team can help you with this.

Alternatively, if you qualify for a care package from adult social care, you could also arrange your own support using 'self directed support'.

How much does it cost?

There will be some cost but the actual amount you pay will depend on what services you receive. A financial assessment will be undertaken by the fairer charging team to determine the charge.  A limited number of services are available free of charge through grants from the government to support independent living.

Can I get help with the cost?

It is possible. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. To get a rough idea of costs you can carry out a quick, confidential financial self assessment, online.

How much will I pay for services?


Do you want more choice and control?

We may provide or arrange services for you but if you want more choice and control over your own life then you might be interested in Self Directed Support. This means that you have a Personal Budget, or Direct Payment, from us and use it to arrange your own support.

Self Directed Support and Personal Budgets


How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care Customer Liaison Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547. 

When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone, check that we've got all our facts straight and then follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your personal situation and to discuss what help is available.

Useful contacts

Care Quality Commission (CQC)
Address: Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA
Phone: 03000 616161
Fax: 03000 616171

image of two people sat together