Change font size:

What is available?

Supported tenancies cover a range of accommodation and adapted properties set up to enable people with learning or physical difficulties, or with sight or hearing loss, to live in their own home, regardless of the level of disability.

These are usually shared by a small group of tenants with staff, based in the home, providing support with day to day living, from a few hours a day, up to 24 hours a day.  There are also supported tenancies where the individual has a flat of their own within a block of flats, and 24-hour background support is available if needed from the 'staff flat'.

Help and support is also offered for setting up and maintaining a home, managing finances, claiming benefits and developing domestic and life skills.

Supported tenancies

Who can live there?

Supported tenancies are available for people over the age of 18 with a learning or physical disability, or with a sight or hearing loss.

In order to work out whether a place in a supported tenancy would best meet your needs, we do need to carry out an assessment.

What is an assessment?


After the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them, according to the seriousness of your situation.

How much does it cost?

There will be some cost but the actual amount you pay will depend on what services you receive.  A financial assessment will be undertaken by the fairer charging team to determine the cost.

Can I get help with the cost?

It is possible. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. To get a rough idea of costs you can carry out a quick, confidential financial self assessment, online.

How much will I pay for services?


Do you want more choice and control?

We may provide or arrange services for you but if you want more choice and control over your own life then you might be interested in Self Directed Support. This means that you have a Personal Budget, or Direct Payment, from us and use it to arrange your own support.

Self Directed Support and Personal Budgets


How to get in touch

The Adult Social Care Customer Liaison Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547. 

When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone and check that we've got our facts straight. We will then follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your personal situation and to discuss what help is available.

image of two people laughing