Change font size:

What does this mean?

When a young person reaches 18 the responsibility for providing social care support transfers from Children's Services to Adult Social Care.

A transition into adulthood plan should be made before the young person's 18th birthday to reflect their needs and wishes for education, training, leisure and employment. This should include social care support to enable them to pursue their goals and to live more independently if appropriate.

When a young person reaches adulthood the services provided may change. This could mean that they are no longer eligible for the same services, or that more services are needed to support their carer.

Transitions into adulthood

Who can get this support?

When a young person with a physical or learning disability, or with sight or hearing problems, becomes 18 and needs practical help they can ask us to look at their social care needs as an adult. In order to work out just what these needs are, we do need to carry out an assessment.

What is an assessment?


This assessment is a thorough discussion with the young person and with parents or carers. This may also involve gathering information from other professionals who work with them and know their situation well.

How much does it cost?

You should be aware that some adult services may have to be paid for, but the actual amount you pay will depend on what services you receive. You may be able to get help with the costs and we will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.  

Do you want more choice and control?

We may provide or arrange services for you but if you want more choice and control over your own life then you might be interested in Self Directed Support. This means that you have a Personal Budget, or Direct Payment, from us and use it to arrange your own support.

Self directed support and personal budgets


How to get in touch

If you already receive services as a young person then please speak to your Social Worker. If not, and you are under 18 years, the Children's Services should be your first point of contact. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on 01254 587547.

If you are 18 or over and you have no Social Worker, then Adult Social Care should be your first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547. 

When you contact us we'll discuss your situation over the phone, check that we've got all our facts straight and then maybe follow this up with a visit to your home to talk about your personal situation and to discuss what help is available.

Useful contacts

Blackburn with Darwen Learning Disability Partnership Board
Address: Adult Social Services, PO Box 478, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB2 9BR
Phone: 01254 587547

image of young girl in ladies shoes