Change font size:

Access to your social care records

This explains why we keep social care records, what sort of information the records contain and how you can arrange to see your records if you want to.

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council's Adult Social Care services aim to protect and promote the wellbeing and rights of vulnerable people. We rely on receiving and sharing information so that we can look at your social care needs and then discuss with you the services that are available to meet them.

We do understand that for some people, giving even the most basic information about themselves is a very sensitive issue. We may also be given information about you by someone else, such as a member of your family or your doctor. We know that you quite rightly expect any information provided to be treated as confidential and we respect that.

What is in the records?

The type of information we keep will include details like your date of birth and your name and address. Depending upon the nature of the service that we provide we may also need to keep information of a more personal or sensitive nature like your personal circumstances, health, lifestyle and financial situation. We will also keep a record of meetings with you and others, any decisions made and services provided.

Sometimes these are kept in paper files or they could be held on a computer. Your records are always treated as confidential and are held securely and they can only be seen by the people who are directly concerned with assessing your needs or providing you with a service. We do not give them to anyone else unless we have your permission to do so. Some social care records are held for many years, others are destroyed after a period of time

Can I see them?

Yes, under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have the right to see a copy of the information that we hold about you. However, there are certain situations where this may not be possible and if this is the case we will tell you why.

If you want to find out what information Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council holds about you then please contact us.  We will ask you for some information in writing to help us find your records and the easiest way to do this is for you to complete the Request for Personal Information Form on the Council's website.

Request for Personal Information Form 


You can also telephone the Adult Social Care Customer Liaison Team from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547, or speak to your social worker to request to see your records.

Alternatively, you can write to the Data Protection & Freedom of Information Officer to request to see your records. 

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council (Data Protection & Freedom of Information Officer)
Address: Town Hall, King William Street, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB1 7DY
Phone: 01254 585852

What happens next?

Once we have received your completed form, proof of your identity and any supporting information we need, we will give you your personal information within 40 calendar days. Usually we will post copies to you, or you can make arrangements to look at your information at our offices in the presence of a member of staff.

However there are certain situations where we may not be able to let you have some or all of the information, for example if it mentions someone else, if giving you the information may cause you harm, or if it is needed for the prevention or detection of a crime. If we are unable to give you access to some information we will normally tell you why.

If you are still unsure then you can contact the Adult Social Care Team and they may be able to advise you. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547.

image of folders