Change font size:

Concessionary Travel Pass

The National Concessionary Travel Scheme provides passes that give free off-peak travel on buses.

The NoWcard is the name of the bus pass that gives travel concessions on buses in the Lancashire area.  For details of the concessions available, and more information about the NoWcard and where you can use it visit the NoWcard website


Who can get a NoWcard?

A person is entitled to a NoWcard from Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council if they satisfy the following eligibility criteria:

  • they are aged 60 or over, and
  • they normally reside in the municipal area of Blackburn with Darwen. 


What do I need to get a NoWcard?

You need the following documents:

  • Evidence of age
  • Evidence of residence
  • Your national insurance number
  • One passport style photograph 


Evidence of age

The best evidence of age is a certified copy of an entry which has by law to be made in a register (birth or adoption certificate).  A passport issued showing the date of birth of the applicant is also good evidence of age.  Entitlement to a British state retirement pension would also be acceptable evidence (e.g. a state retirement pension order book, or a letter from the Pension agency). 


Evidence of residence

A person who normally resides in Blackburn with Darwen is entitled to a bus pass.  The onus is on the applicant to provide satisfactory evidence of residence.  A recent (that is dated within the last three months) telephone bill, utility bill or a current pension or benefit order book or document of a similar nature that has the address on it would be sufficient evidence of residence. 


How much does it cost?

The pass is issued free to those who are eligible.  However, if the pass is lost then we charge a fee of £10 to cover the cost of administration and producing a duplicate card.  


Where do I get a pass from?

You can take the documents to any of the following offices where they will take your picture and arrange for your pass to be issued:

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council (Blackburn Town Hall)
Address: Town Hall, King William Street, Blackburn
Phone: 01254 585139

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council (Darwen Town Hall)
Address: Town Hall, Croft Street, Darwen
Phone: 01254-222101


Further information

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council (Concessionary Travel Team)
Address: Customer services department, Town Hall, King William Street, Blackburn, BB1 7DY
Phone: 01254 585381
Fax: 01254 585202

If you are still unsure the Adult Social Care Customer Liaison Team may be able to advise you. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547.

image of bus seats