Change font size:

Where to go if there is a problem

The first stop should be your GP. Not only will they be familiar with your medical history, but they will be able to direct you to the appropriate treatment.

Don't feel worried about going, your GP is there to help with your mental health as well as your physical health and every day they will see people who are feeling anxious, depressed or are having problems coping and want someone to talk to. In order to help, your GP will try to find out what's bothering you. It could be anything from work stress and anxiety to relationship problems, poor housing or living with a chronic illness.

The first step may be referring you to a local organisation that can help with your practical problems. However, your GP may decide that you need more specialist help and may refer you to the Primary Care Mental Health Service (Mindcare) based at Daisyfield Mill in Blackburn, who are the single point of access to mental health services in Blackburn with Darwen. 

What support is available

There are a number of different ways that you can be supported. Please note that some of these therapies may be available under the NHS and some may only be available privately.

Talking therapies
Anyone can ask their GP for talking therapy. Exactly what kind of therapy you will be referred to will depend on what the problem is but may include Counselling, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis, Psychiatry or family, couples or group therapy. 

If you and your GP agree that you would benefit from medication, there are various options that can help with conditions such as anxiety, depression, insomnia and other mental health problems.

Specialist care
More serious mental health problems such as bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia require specialist care, and you will be referred to one of the Complex Care and Treatment Teams in Blackburn or Darwen. Treatment may involve a combination of medication, talking therapies and 24-hour support if necessary, which may take place at home or in hospital.

'Reading Well' - Books on Prescription 
This is a national scheme to help people with mental health issues.  Ask your GP or health professional to prescribe a free self-help book.  The books have been recommended by experts and are all tried and tested and found to be useful to others.  Click here to find out more.

Other support
Specialists can refer you to employment and training schemes which support mental health needs at the same time as providing work and education. They can also offer help in the community through crisis resolution teams, who you can call in an emergency.

More information about Community Mental Health services


Who to contact

We do strongly recommend that you go to your GP who may then decide to refer you on to more specialist services.

In an emergency, if your GP surgery is closed, go to Royal Blackburn Hospital's Accident & Emergency Department and explain your difficulty. You can also call NHS Direct 24 hours a day on 0845 4647.

image of worried woman