Change font size:

Help after leaving hospital

If you are discharged from hospital following an illness or an operation, you might need some practical help to support you and to help you recover and to regain your independence.

If you have been admitted to a ward and the nursing staff feel that you will find it difficult to manage at home without some help, they will contact the Social Work Team based at the Royal Blackburn Hospital. A  Social Worker will visit you on the ward to assess you and help plan your discharge from hospital.

What is an assessment?


After the assessment your Social Worker will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them. Depending on the nature of your needs your Social Worker may arrange for one of our intermediate care services to help you regain your independence. Or your Social Worker may arrange for a care worker to call daily to support you at home.   These services will help to maintain your independence and quality of life.

Intermediate care and reablement


I need help with living at home


If you don't qualify for a care package from Adult Social Care you could arrange for a care worker from a private home care agency to help you. If you do this remember to take care to choose one that is registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

You can view a list of care agencies in Blackburn with Darwen that are registered with Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council: List of registered care agencies

The 'NHS Choices' website can help you find a care worker, and you can also check the care agency's Care Quality Commission report on the website too.   Visit the NHS Choices website.

Or you could employ your own personal assistant.  The Self Directed Support Team can help you with this.

Useful contacts

Care Quality Commission (CQC)
Address: Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA
Phone: 03000 616161
Fax: 03000 616171

If you are unsure the Adult Social Care Customer Liaison Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547.

image of two women embracing