Change font size:

Housing related support services

Supporting People can fund housing-related support services for people who need help to live independently.

Some people feel that they need extra support for a number of reasons. These could be because of your age, any disability, poor physical or mental health, or because of a drink or drug problem. Or perhaps you have experienced domestic abuse.

Housing related support can help with life skills, such as cooking, managing your money and shopping, support finding accommodation, help getting access to health, education and employment services, support with claiming the right welfare benefits and filling in forms and help to stay safe and secure wherever you are living.

What services are available?

Supporting People services can:

  • Help young people leaving care to prepare for greater independence through training in basic skills, such as cooking and budgeting
  • Help families who have experienced abuse by offering them support in a refuge or in their own home
  • Arrange services for people with sight or hearing loss, physical or learning disabilities to help them to be as independent as possible
  • Help people leaving hospital or prison, refugees or those who are homeless to set up home or adjust to living independently in supported housing. 

Housing related support does not include personal care, such as help with washing and bathing, or taking your medication.

Who provides these services?

There are a number of Supporting People services within Blackburn with Darwen. These are local organisations who can assess your needs and provide support for you. This can either be accommodation-based support, for example a warden in a sheltered housing scheme, or floating support which means that staff visit you in your own home.

You do not have to pay for housing-related support if you are getting Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or both and you need short-term support for up to two years. If you need longer-term support and you do not get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit you may have to pay towards this support. When you get in touch, the Financial Assessment Team will assess your financial situation to work out how much you have to pay towards the cost of your support.

Shelter - Blackburn with Darwen

Shelter's branch in Blackburn with Darwen can help people with:

  • Debt advice
  • Welfare benefits advice
  • Housing advice (including help for private rented tenants) as well as help with legal issues including homelessness, disrepair, unlawful eviction and rent arrears (this list is not exhaustive and people should contact Shelter with any housing issues they experience)
  • Shelter provides an information resource which offers self help if someone needs to use phones or the computer to improve their current situation with housing, debt or benefits.

The main reception number for appointments is 03445 151831.  

Useful contacts

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council (Housing Needs)
Address: Blackburn Town Hall, King William Street, Blackburn, BB1 7DY
Phone: (01254) 585444

Shelter - Blackburn with Darwen
Address: Blackburn Central Library, Town Hall Street, Blackburn, BB2 1AG
Phone: 0344 515 1831

For more information please contact us.

image of two women