Change font size:

Help with walking

If you are finding it difficult to walk around inside your home and feel that you need a walking stick or frame, NHS Blackburn with Darwen have a Community Rehabilitation Team who will be able to help you.

They can visit you to carry out an assessment to see which walking aid would suit you. They will also show you how to use this safely. NHS Blackburn with Darwen also has a Wheelchair Service which provides manual or powered wheelchairs for people who require a wheelchair due to a permanent condition affecting their mobility. They can also provide wheelchairs for a short term loan. They will carry out a full assessment for people with complex disabilities and mobility problems. Please contact your GP, therapist or nursing team and ask them to make a referral to this service. The British Red Cross Society may also be able to provide wheelchairs and other equipment for short term use.

If you are unable to leave your house without using a wheelchair, Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council will consider provision of ramping, if this is feasible. However, ramping is not provided for powered scooter-type outdoor vehicles. These are generally purchased privately in which case you would also be expected to make provision for any ramp yourself.

Useful contacts

British Red Cross Society
Phone: 01772 707300


If you are still unsure the Adult Social Care Team will be able to advise you. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547.

image of hands together