Change font size:


If you are having problems with continence we recommend that you seek medical help but there are products and services available that can help you to cope.

East Lancashire Bladder and Bowel Service is a nurse-led community service providing assessment and treatments for people who have bladder and bowel problems.  They work closely with bladder and bowel specialists at Burnley General Hospital and Royal Blackburn Hospital and see both adults and children from the age of 4 years old.

Some problems with your bladder or bowel can include: 

  • Accidentally leaking urine from the bladder (urinary incontinence) - this affects up to 50% of the population and is an upsetting and embarrassing social and hygienic problem.
  • Women often experience problems with leaking urine after childbirth and men may have problems in later life.
  • Children and teenagers can also suffer with bladder problems and our service offers help and support for day and night time wetting problems.
  • Having accidental leakage from the bowel (faecal incontinence) is another common and distressing problem for many people and we also offer assessment and treatment plans for this problem.
  • The Bladder and Bowel Service can also help families with children who have chronic constipation, soiling and toilet training difficulties (aged 4 years and over).

Who is the service for?

The Bladder and Bowel Service will provide assessment, treatment and advice about bladder and bowel problems for any person registered with a local general practitioner aged 4 years and over in Burnley, Pendle, Rossendale, Hyndburn, Ribble Valley, Blackburn and Darwen.

What are the hours of service?

The service operates Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.  It is closed on bank holidays. 

Where are the services offered? 

They run community Bladder and Bowel clinics at a variety of health centre locations across the region and will offer you an appointment at a clinic nearest to your home where possible.  If you are unable to leave your home they can advise you how to contact the District Nursing Service who will visit you at home.

How can you be referred to the service?

The service has an open referral system so anyone can refer themselves to a Bladder and Bowel Nurse Advisor who will identify the best source of assessment/advice for you, however, men should be referred by their GP. They hold clinics at a variety of health centre locations across East Lancashire.

Useful contacts

East Lancashire Bladder and Bowel Service
Tel: 01254 359129 

If you are still unsure the Adult Social Care Customer Liaison Team may be able to advise you. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547.

image of woman